The Embassy of Ghana wishes to inform all visa applicants that visas are NOT FOR SALE. An applicant will be issued a visa based on merits. This presupposes that payment of visa fee DOES NOT guarantee the issuance of a visa. Please take note that visa fees paid are NOT REFUNDABLE.
Applicants are therefore advised to read carefully the following guidelines and comply accordingly.
Conditions for Issuing Visa
1. All visitors entering Ghana must possess a valid passport and valid visa/permit, except nationals of ECOWAS member states and other countries with which the Government of Ghana has specific bilateral agreements.
2. Visas may be granted to personnel of international organizations and visitors wishing to travel to Ghana for Official Duties, Business, Tourism, Study, Family Visit or Transit.
3. Visa may be granted for Single or Multiple entries. Multiple entry visa/permit holder has unlimited entry into Ghana within the period indicated in the visa. The duration of stay in Ghana of the visa/permit holder will be determined by the endorsement of the Ghana Immigration Authorities at the port of entry.
4. Visa is valid for a period of three (3) months from the date of issue. If the holder does not enter Ghana within three (3) months the visa becomes invalid.
5. A person who enters Ghana as tourist is not permitted to take up employment.
6. Emergency visas may be issued at the port of entry to visitors who arrive from a country where there is no Ghanaian diplomatic or consular representation, but such applications must be authorized by the Director of the Immigration Service through their sponsors before they arrive in Ghana.
7. Extension of stay while in Ghana is the sole preserve of the Ghana Immigration Service. Applicants are advised to refer to http://www.ghanaimmigration.org should there be the need to extend their stay in Ghana.
8. Visa applicant must be a Danish, Swedish, Finish, Norwegian, and Icelandic citizens or a foreign national legally resident in any of these countries.
9. Visitors to Ghana are strongly advised to ensure that they have all the necessary documents before they arrive in the Country.
The under-mentioned categories of persons are prohibited immigrants:
- A person of unsound mind.
- A person declared by medical personnel as medically unsound.
- A person considered to be a security risk.
- A person against whom there is a deportation order in force.
- A person who has been sentenced in a foreign country for extradition under the Extradition Act 1960.
Visitors to Ghana may be required to provide a valid International Certificate of Vaccination for Yellow Fever at the point of entry.
How To Apply
You can apply for the visa by post or in person. Application forms must be completed in English (CAPITAL LETTERS) and quadruplicate (4 sets) signed same as in your passport and dated. The completed forms must be submitted with the following:
- A valid Passport for at least six (6) months from the date of application
- Four (4) recent Passport size photographs (3.5cmx4.5cm colour photographs with plain white background)
- A return air ticket or Flight Confirmation Statement
- A copy of an International Certificate of Vaccination for Yellow Fever
It takes a minimum of ten (10) working days to process the visa application whilst express visa application takes a minimum of three (3) working days.
You must ensure that you submit all the required documents. Submitting incomplete application may delay the processing of your application or, in some cases, result in its rejection.
You must present the original receipt during the collection of the passport. Application by post must be enclosed with a Self-Addressed Pre-paid Envelope, or courier service for the return of your passport.
Visa/Passport applications for minors (children under 18 years) must be accompanied by a letter of consent signed by the Child’s parents.
Please note that parents with sole custodianship of their children should provide a letter to this effect.
Unaccompanied minors on school trips or voluntary programmes must also attach a letter of consent signed by both parents or their legal guardians, to their visa/passport application.
IMPORTANT IMMIGRATION NOTICE Visitors to Ghana must note that the possession of the entry visa does not give the right of entry. Visitors may be refused entry into Ghana if they fall within the category of prohibited immigrants or if they do not satisfy immigration requirements at the port of entry. The Government of Ghana will not be financially liable for their repatriation.
CATEGORIES OF VISA
- Spouse or Child of a Ghanaian national (family)
Official visas are granted to holders of Diplomatic and Official Passports and their families. This application must be submitted with a Note Verbale in addition to the regular requirements.
1. Business visa is granted to business people wishing to travel to Ghana for business-related purposes. For example, to attend a conference or training session, to conduct business with a Ghana-based organization, to conduct business negotiations, to establish, manage, or develop a new or existing business, or to invest in Ghana.
2. Application must be submitted with a letter of recommendation/letter of guarantee from an Employer, Sponsor, or Business Associates in Europe and an Invitation Letter from their host or sponsor in Ghana in addition to the regular requirements.
3. Media personnel who wish to travel to Ghana for press-related activities must apply for press accreditation. A completed application form should be submitted with a letter from sponsors giving details of the activities that will be under taken in Ghana for approval by the Ministry of Information, Ghana before the submission of visa application.
Tourist visa is granted to people wishing to travel to Ghana for a holiday, sightseeing, social or recreational reasons, to visit relatives, friends or for other short-term non-work purposes. If granted, this visa will allow the holder either a single or multiple entries to Ghana for period of up to three months. Multiple entry visas in this category are granted in accordance with applicant’s travel circumstances.
This Visa is for foreign students wishing to study in Ghana. Application together with the regular requirements must be submitted with a Letter of Acceptance from the Educational or Training Institution into which the student/applicant will be studying and evidence of financial means of the applicant for the period of his/her studies in Ghana.
SPOUSE OR CHILD OF A GHANAIAN NATIONAL (FAMILY)
This visa is granted to persons whose parents or spouses are Ghanaian citizen. In additional to the regular requirements, applicant must submit a Marriage Certificate (spouse) or Birth Certificate (child) or any document confirming the relationship to the Ghanaian citizen.